Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My Favorite Video Games


Scott’s opinions- My favorite games





1.        Final Fantasy VI/ Chrono Trigger- Don’t make me pick please!  Some days it’s FFVI and other times it’s Chrono.  I love them both!

2.       The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past- What an incredible atmospheric beginning that lead to the quest of a lifetime.  While Ocarina of Time is a more sophisticated and mature game, I will always love A Link to the Past far more.

3.       Final Fantasy IV- A game that taught me that a good story is what really matters.

4.       Secret of Mana- Was it buggy?  You bet!  Were there flaws in its presentation and mechanics?  Yep.  Still I was a wonderfully fun game that I could (and did) play with my friends.

5.        Super Mario World/ Super Mario 3- Again I have a very difficult time choosing.  Both were great.

6.       Dragon Quest VIII- In my opinion it is the best of the Dragon Quest games.  A blend of great gameplay and cool story make it stand out.

7.       Super Metroid- Best side scroller ever!

8.       Castlevania: Symphony of the Night/ Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest- True, SOTN is by far the better game, but where would SOTN be if not for Castlevania II?  Well everyone would just say it was great, but it’s a Super Metroid clone.  Now we have proof that it isn’t.  Aren’t you glad?

9.       Disgaea- Probably the least well known of the titles on this page, but it is a hilarious strategy RPG with tons of gaming references.  You owe it to yourself to play it if you like strategy games.

10.   Mass Effect/ Mass Effect 2- I got to create my version of the hero and have him do what I want him to do! 



Just Missed the cut:



Diablo- Diablo II and Diablo III are better games, but going through the original was a special experience for me.

Warcraft II- My first real time strategy game.  Again part three is better, but this was my first time playing against friends online.

Super Castlevania- I couldn’t bounce Mass Effect off my list for three Castlevania games.  Still this is a wonderful experience.

F- Zero- Mode seven graphics powered me and the Blue Falcon to victory after victory.  With any luck Nintendo will return to this great franchise.

Donkey Kong Country- Not at the caliber of the Mario games previously mentioned.  It is a brilliant side scroller game that made me think my Super Nintendo could compete with modern systems.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess- I admit that I hold an unpopular opinion here but I prefer Twilight Princess to Ocarina of Time.  Does it owe everything to Ocarina?  Mostly, but then again I’ll choose a 2012 Camaro to a 74 Camaro every time.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time- You were worried I’d forget about completely?  Don’t worry, I didn’t. 

Dragon Quest IV- So many memories from this game; saving 50,000 gold pieces to open my shop in chapter 3, going to sleep in order to have the dream tell me where to go next, breaking in to the enemies fortress disguised as a monster.  Good times, good times. 


No comments:

Post a Comment